it’s april, ya fool!

Today was eventful. Dramatic? Unusual? Unforgettable? I couldn’t find a word for it. So here’s a recount of what happened…

The day started off with waking up at the crack of dawn to get ready for a 10 mile hike up to and back from an active volcano. On the way there the mist clung to the ground making the remnants of lava barely visible, but when we reached the lookout it was like the sky decided to mysteriously clear to reveal this amazing view. It felt like a really long hike in those converse sneakers which were not made for rocky surfaces! This chapter ends with Fiona losing her sunglasses by leaving them behind in the women’s bathroom and being attacked by thistles the entire hike.

After the hike it was nice to finally jump into the water. We were meant to be snorkeling but the waves were not cooperating. Even though our guides confusion over left and right we soon figured out the water was not clear enough to see anything of interest. So we moved onto a much calmer looking beach and photographed sea lions lazing on deck chairs and boats. I thought “why not swim out to the boat with the lazing sea lion?” and when I was about half way and decided to turn back and look at the shore I noticed a very fast movement in the extremely clear water. It had a fin, was about 1 metre long, skinny and it swam fast. Yes, there was a shark in the water and I made my way back to shore pretty quickly.

Then came the part where we walked along the beach. Saw some puppies and the sand was soft. The sunset was beautiful and then the dark night fell. There was so much darkness we were able to see both the Southern Cross and Orion’s belt. We decided to go for a drink at the Iguana Point Bar, where the lights were on and the sign said OPEN. There was absolutely no one in sight including no bartender, so eventually we decided to grab some dinner and as we were walking along we managed to take a photo of a crab. Along comes a guy on a bike and he says “Hola. Where are you from?” And this sounds like the start of a chat up. But that was about all the English he knew. He did have a message for us in Spanish though. It went “blah, blah, blah … tsunami … blah, blah, blah”. So you can guess we hightailed it off that dock and back to our hotel pretty quick. Here our guide told us we needed to pack some essentials because we were headed to the mountains. To get to the mountains we first jumped into a a van, and then the van wouldn’t start. Then we jumped into a ute and since there was no room I had to jump into the back. But as everyone dashed to get their stuff out the back, the ute decided to take off down the street with me standing on the back of it.

Those were the events that led to how I got to the evacuation centre. I kid you not. And what does an evacuation centre on one of the Galapagos Islands look like? It’s a room filled with bananas, some Aussies and a pack of cards, a bottle of whiskey, dogs, cats, a BBQ, a carriage without the horse, some hammocks, a beat up pool table, an old guy listening to the news on a beat up radio giving updates in Spanish, one couch, some plastic chairs, some tents and sleeping bags. In the end we were grateful that the island was safe and sound.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s